Monday, January 8, 2018

VE Day in France / Memorial Day in the U.S.



I cried when I first saw this...

You see the organization Thanks GIs is dedicated to keeping the memory of those who fought to liberate Metz in NE France alive.  My Dad was just one of those men. At 19 years of age in his first major battle, he was wounded and captured and dragged through Poland and Germany as a POW in late 1944 through the war's end in1945. 

Though he never wished to return and revisit those daunting times and places, he was convince (by me) to return to France and participate in a VE Day celebration (May 8th) in Corny in 2005.  Corny actually had a special place in my Dad's history.  It was the scene of his first reconnaissance mission, one which was mostly a disaster including loss of life. 

Now 13 years later, I still have ties to France. I have made life-long French friends who have enriched my life immensely and have brought me joy and blessings beyond measure.

Take a moment to give thanks for those who have and today are putting their lives on the line to protect the rights and freedoms that we as Americans enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment