Tuesday, March 1, 2016

My Favorite Soviet Spy...

If you watched Sunday evening's Oscars, you might remember Mark Rylance winning Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Rudolf Abel, the Soviet spy, in the recent movie Bridge of Spies. I thought it was just me that LOVED and connected with him, but I guess not...

There's a great story behind this. For the past year I've had multiple health issues that consumed my time, energy, and concern. I have often felt overwhelmed with worry not knowing how it would or wouldn't work out. I dealt with an almost daily struggle to hold it all together. Finally God, who knows me best, said, "Deb, let me help you with this. Let me give you a visual that's gonna make sense of this for you. You can quote all the Scripture verses, but that doesn't seem to be working for you. So I'm sending you to the movies." Huh? That movie was BRIDGE OF SPIES, the Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg movie about the American lawyer who represented the Soviet spy who was ultimately exchanged for the American U2 pilot, Francis Gary Powers, during the Cold War in the 1960s. Now I was a little kid during that time and really had no desire to hear "that story" again. I thought maybe that should be a guys' night out and I would just stay home. But no, I went. What I hadn't known was the incredible back story behind what I remembered. The Soviet spy turned out to be an endearing, little (as in short of stature), introvert and artist who also happened to be a spy. Ok, ok, the connection was not lost on me. (I am also a short, introverted artist). I liked him immensely, spy or not. Then WOW...during the initial trial scene, Tom Hanks leans over to his client and asks him, "Aren't you at all worried about the outcome? (Like this is espionage and your life is on the line). The cute little artist-spy's reply was short and to the point, "Would it help?" Several more times throughout the movie, the same question was repeated in varying versions. "Aren't you afraid?" "Aren't you concerned?" The answer was always predictable. "Would it make a difference?" "Would it do me any good?" Ok, I got it. It's a visual parable that makes sense and works for me. Thank you, God, for working with me on this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment