Monday, December 23, 2013

A Favorite Painting for this Season


Madonna of the Chair ~ Raphael 1514-15


This is to wish all who read this blog a very Merry Christmas and/or a happy holiday.  Appropriately for this season, I am sharing with you one of my very favorite paintings. I was fortunate enough to get to see it up-close-and-personal at the Pitti Palace in Florence some years ago.  Though smaller than I had imagined it was nevertheless breathtaking.  Regardless of your beliefs, I hope you find the painting moving and the subject appealing.  I hope its beauty and message moves you as it does me.  I have always loved the playful and endearing pose as well as the protective look in the Madonna's (mother's) eyes.

Legend says that Raphael happened upon a charming family group such as this.  Grabbing whatever material was available, which apparently was the head of a cask, he quickly sketched out the scene.  And thus, the circular form of the painting came to be.  Whether or not the story is true, no one can say.  But it's fun to imagine it so.

Whatever your reason for celebration at this time of year, I hope that you are blessed with love, family and friends, and make some happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment