Friday, December 26, 2014

The "Advil" time of year

I heard a story this year at a Christmas Eve eve service. 
     "A little boy was asked if he knew what the name was for this special time of the year.
     He quickly replied, Of course, it's called Advil." 
What he meant was Advent, but there was still some truth to his answer.

We get busy ... dare I say overwhelmed with all that needs to be done and all that we think needs to be done.  There are trees, decorations and lights to buy and put up. There are gifts to buy, wrap, and mail. Cards to write and address, and send.  Food to plan, make and serve. Then dishes to wash and more dishes to wash.  AND then we get to undo everything and put our house back to "normal."



LEFT: Adoration of the Shepherds - Lorenzo Lotto
RIGHT: Detail


I hope you had a little spare time to reflect, be still and enjoy.  Hopefully you heard from friends across the miles and enjoyed catching up. Perhaps you shared a text and picture of your Christmas with someone who cares. Maybe like me you sat quietly and enjoyed the centuries old Christmas carols played on a pipe organ and heard the telling of the Christmas story once again.


I also got to experience the beauty of the Christmas story in art this season.  My friend, Sara, shared a "new" (to me) old painting that has a very special appeal.  I'm passing it on to you.  I hope you appreciate and enjoy it too.


Stay tuned...it just might become one of my paintings next year. I have a vision for this one.






No comments:

Post a Comment